Saturday, June 12, 2010

Anthropology as a College Major

My son has been toying with the notion of majoring in Anthropology. Since that concentration wasn't available when I went to college. I decided to do a bit of reading on the subject, and what a broad subject it is, covering biological, cultural, linguistic and archaeological perspectives on human origins and behaviour. While exploring this exciting inter-disciplinary field, I visited the American Anthropological Association and came across this video on race.




I plan to find time to visit the tour exhibit on RACE which explores the complex story of race. It's a trevelling exhibit which goes until 5/2013.

If my son wants to pursue this discipline (it seems like disciplines really) I'll encourage him. Since his interests are wide-ranging, it seems ideal for him and with so many different aspects maybe he won't be likely to fall into that common trap of switching majors. Further he will develop sharper skills at observing, analyzing, recording and thinking.

3 comments:

I Wonder Wye said...

A friend majored in Anthropology, went on some interesting digs, and ended up working in finance. He can use it any number of ways...Thanks for coming by...

Anonymous said...

Just support him in whatever he chooses. There is a wide range of opportunities out there

Jenn Erickson said...

I always thought Anthropology would have been a fascinating major.

Thank you for sharing the video. I like the way it was delivered in a simple and succinct manner. It has me thinking and wondering how the American idea of race and its origins compares to the caste system in India or the racial discrimination of Albanians in Greece, etc.