Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Earth Moved Today

Today at about 4:56pm I was sitting right here at my computer when I felt a strange sensation. It was as if I was not solid. I was floating kind of and when I looked down I realized what was happening. The ground was moving, swaying. My husband yelled:
EARTHQUAKE!


It didn't last long, but it was unnerving. I immediately recalled having another unnerving experience with an earthquake about 17 years ago.

It came to mind because that too was in the month of January. The good ole internet came to my rescue. Indeed it was on January 13, 1993 that I left my infant son in my room to collect something (I can't recall what it was) from out in my yard and the earthquake struck. I panicked and tried to run. Now if you've ever tried to run while an earthquake is in motion you would understand. You feel like you are not going anywhere, you are running on spot. Luckily for us it only lasted a few seconds and relieved, I was able to make my way back inside. That one measured 5.4 on the richter scale.

But January seems to be a month for earthquakes in this part of the world for it was on January 14, 1907 that we experienced a violent earthquake costing 800 lives. Our capital was in ruins. My grandfather was a young boy then living miles away in St. Elizabeth. He was so frightened I am told, he climbed a tree to escape the trembling of the earth. With a country that is only 146 miles long and 51 miles wide I guess I can understand how such a movement would be felt in a place that takes me around two hours to get by car.

It was shocking for me to learn later this evening however that the epicentre of the earthquake was located near Carrefour in Haiti. Haiti! While Haiti is our neighbour to the east, I was flabbergasted to hear that the earthquake measured a catastrophic 7.0 on the Richter scale and I was feeling it over one hundred miles away. Sadly Haiti the poorest country in the Western hemisphere is again bearing the brunt of a disastrous occurrence. Reports state that a hospital crumbled and tsunami alerts went out. What next for that impoverished country. We were spared but poor poor Haiti has been struck again. We pray for our Caribbean cousins.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Stopping by from SITS...are you near Haiti? I'm sure when the numbers come out, with 7.0, this is going to be devastating to that whole region. Many prayers.

123 123 said...

Cool post you got here. It would be great to read a bit more about that matter. Thnx for sharing that material.
Joan Stepsen
Latest tech gadgets

Lora said...

Seeing the coverage today and it's truly devastating. Doesn't seem quite fair...Haiti doesn't seem to get a break :(

Stopping by from SITS
:0)

Anonymous said...

France and the United States should rebuild Haiti. They have contributed heavily to its POVERTY. Successive governments have raped the country and its people of a decent living. The democratically elected president. .. Aristide was spirited away by the US and French governments because his policies for the peasants was not to their liking. Condoleesa Rice and Colin Powell were traitors to their race as they refused to support Aristide. Maxine Walters and Randall Robinson with Webster Hay of Jamaica were Aristide only support. I cry for Haiti and Haitians.