Tuesday, July 14, 2009

More Children's Books

In my last post I was struck by the fact that most of the people who commented had never heard of English author, Enid Blyton, 11 August 1897 - 28 November 1968 Then I thought of another English author, J.K. Rowling and marveled at how times have changed. Aah the wonders of modern technology in the information age!

Then a comment by Carma about her love of Mad Magazine reminded me of another series I enjoyed, except I encountered these as a seventeen year old on my summer trip to France. I found a stack of these books in my assigned room, they were entitled Asterix and Obelix

french children's bookshistorical comics

In case you don't know, Asterix and Obelix is a French comic series about the star, Asterix and his rotund friend Obelix. They are Gauls whose exploits focus on fighting off Julius Caesar's forces who attempt repeatedly to occupy their little village. Magic potions, superhero abilities and wild boar feature often in this "band dessinée" which I read to enhance my understanding of french idioms.

Of course having left France I never saw those books in a bookstore again but one day I saw them in my library in English and can you guess what I did? That's right, I borrowed them for my son. As they are seemingly the precursor to the modern graphic novel it is no surprise that many adults love them too.

6 comments:

carma said...

Thanks for the shout out :D And now you're talkin' my kind of literature! Has your son ever read the "Bone" series? My son reads them over and over. Very clever. They are meant for children, but adults enjoy the series as well.

Ginger said...

Cool! Right now Jack is still in board books - Moo Baa LaLaLa is his favorite (he's 13 months old)- but I'm always keeping an eye out for later.

Your comment about Rowling was interesting. It's funny what (how) we know what we know, or rather don't know what we ought to know. It reminded me of when one of my brightest high school students in my International Baccalaureate class interrupted a discussion by pointing at a poster on the wall. She screeched, "EWWW! What's that? It's, like so skinny and gross!"

A boy student in the class questioned, "You don't know Gandhi?"

She said, "Who?"

He then winked at me, turned back to her and asked, "Do you know who Paris Hilton is?"

"Duh!" she said.

The boy looked at me and said, "See. That's what's wrong with our country."
:)

Pam said...

I agree about your comment about J.K. Rowling. My daughter quotes Shakespeare periodically (especially when she wants to insult someone).
I am amazed by the number of people who do not know who Shakespeare is.
Thanks for visiting my blog!

Anonymous said...

How soon did you graduate from Enid Blyton to Danielle Steele? All children should read these books, makes for an enquiring mind and identifying subtle mysteries

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm so glad people still read!

Aubrey said...

My little one is still into board books too. Plus, I don't trust him with anything else right now. LOL

Coming by from SITS. Welcome aboard!