Friday, July 24, 2009

It's Coconut Water not Coconut Milk


After what seemed like an unusually hot couple of days I did what I usually do when I get very thirsty and want something other than water - which I love by the way - I buy coconut water, yes water not milk.

Every few months, I post about the wonderful tropical fruits I enjoy especially during the summer months.

Now some people only know about the dry coconut and the hard meat inside. I've often marvelled at the fact that some people in Florida have the coconut palm trees and don't use the coconuts.

The water inside the coconut, known simply as coconut water is natural, refreshing, sweet (depending on the fruits maturity) and good for you. The water is almost clear and it has got loads of potassium and electrolytes. Sports drink lovers are welcome to try it. I'm told too (ahem by high school biology student) that its makeup is just like blood plasma. I haven't seen any scientific studies but I did see the Jackie Chan movie ;).

Now some of you may be wondering what is the difference between this and coconut milk. Coconut milk is derived from the coconut meat itself. When the coconut is mature the nut gets hard and the husk dry. Put small pieces of the coconut in the blender with water, grate it and voila, you get coconut milk and it looks like the white stuff too. That milk and the hard nut is what you use in your recipes but when the fruit is young that meat is think like gelatin and makes for a lovely snack.

So I bought 5 coconuts - not the mature one. I had my coconut vendor chop off the top like in the picture. When I got home I stuck a sharp knife in the top (look for the tender spot and it will be easy) and it filled my pitcher. Refreshing!

Next I opened the hole a bit more with the knife and then I grabbed a spoon and scooped out the meat which we call coconut jelly. Kids love this.

If you have friends with a coconut tree, tell them to try the water, just be careful with the knife. It's sad to make this go to waste and there must be a reason why the canned stuff is flying off the shelves in stores.

5 comments:

__♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ said...

Hi Dee~

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and especially for taking the time to read my very long posts! It truly means a lot that you did that AND left a very sweet comment. Thank you!!

I am very interested in your post today about Coconut Water. I'm not very familiar with the coconut at all because 1) they are not sold in our local stores or grown anywhere near where I live AND 2) I do NOT like anything that has coconut in it or on it. YUCK! :o) I don't mind the flavor, it is the texture that bothers me. I know that probably sounds weird, huh? Anyway, I'm still interested in this water because of my disease. I am in constant need of sports drinks and IV fluids because of my severe dehydration and low blood plasma! When I read that you said this water has tons of potassium and other electrolytes AND that its makeup is just like blood plasma, it just blew me away! What an awesome drink that may be for me and others who have my illness! Do you have to buy coconuts and procure the water yourself or is this coconut water also sold by a company/manufacturer?? I would be very willing to try this even though I'm not a huge fan of the coconut.

I am very interested in learning more about this. Thanks so much for sharing. Have a wonderful weekend!

Blessings,

Teresa <><

http://toomanyheartbeats.blogspot.com/

__♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ said...

Hi Dee~

You don't have to publish this comment but I wanted to tell you that I just noticed your last name on your profile and it is the same as my maiden name! Do you or any of your family live in Georgia? I just know that Nation is not a very common last name so I thought I'd ask.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Teresa <><
JoyNtheJourney@att.net

Taryn said...

I.LOVE.COCONUT! This actually sounds DELICIOUS in my opinion.

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment about my basket purses!!!

Love,
Taryn

tankandtwig said...

Thanks for posting this! I'm always telling people about the difference between coconut water and milk and they just give me that glazed over look like I'm a loon, which I'm not, of course ;0

Quiskaeya said...

My island sister speak the truth about the difference between coconut water and coconut milk. It drives me crazy when people think they are one in the same. I live in South Florida and my girlfriend has a coconut tree. Believe me when I say she and her family (and me...lol) take full advantage of it. But you are right, so many floridian's don't take advantage of it.