Monday, July 27, 2009

Did you Drink Soda Today


I hardly drink soda but only because I love water and fruits so it hasn't been much of a problem. I notice when my son eats out though that he loves to order Pepsi and it has never really bothered me because he doesn't have the opportunity to do it often at home and he guzzles a lot of water.

Yet the statistics which I found at Mercola.com regarding soda consumption are not at all encouraging. here are some tidbits

  • One can of soda has about 10 teaspoons of sugar, 150 calories, 30 to 55 mg of caffeine, and is loaded with artificial food colors and sulphites.

  • The average soda consumption among teenage males between ages 13 and 18 is three or more cans a day, and 10% drink seven or more cans a day.

  • Of 13- to 18-year-old girls who drink the beverages, the average intake is more than two cans a day, and 10% of those teenagers drink more than five cans a day.

  • For each additional daily serving of sugar-sweetened soft drink consumed during the nearly two-year study, the risk of obesity increased 1.6 times.

  • There is a direct link between tooth decay and soft drinks.

  • Animal studies demonstrate that, a common ingredient in soda, can deplete bones of calcium.

  • A 1994 Harvard study of bone fractures in teenage athletes found a strong association between cola beverage consumption and bone fractures in 14-year-old girls.
I think I feel a lot better knowing I drink lots of water but you've been hearing some weird stories about the bottled ones too. Personally I boil my water and I lots of people I know have theirs filtered. So instead of reaching for soda today how about regulate filtered tap water.

5 comments:

Memento - Terri said...

We are DC drinkers - Diet Coke. The more you drink the more you want. But thankfully water works the same way. I have been trying to limit it to 2 or 3 a week instead of 1 or 2 a day. So far so good. Glad to find your post and get that encouragement of drinking more water and less DC. Thanks!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

I can't even remember the last time I bought soda. Not only is soda bad for your health, it's also so expensive. We drink lots of seltzer water though. Much better for you, but it's still bubbly!

carma said...

I try to stay away from soda as much as I can. I'm an advocate for good teeth :D

Ronnica said...

Drinking a yummy Diet Dr Pepper right now. ;)

This is something that I've thought about. But, Diet Dr Pepper is seriously my absolutely favorite taste. I have limited my drinking from what it was (still 2 a day, I must admit). So yes, it's not great for me, but I'm going to keep on.

Camile Teresa said...

I actually stopped drinking soda a few years ago because the sugar seriously made me feel like my teeth were going to fall out! I didn't know all that other stuff though! I am glad I do not touch the stuff :)
Camile
http://classroomconfessions.wordpress.com