Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Buying New Glasses


My son needs new glasses. He had a fancy pair with transition lenses. The child who at sixteen thinks he is cool hardly wears them, except of course when he is sitting at the back of the class. His reasoning: wearing them makes him dependent and his vision actually deteriorates. So why does he need new glasses?

It's not because his sight has gotten worse, nnno those fancy glasses, those high tech transition lenses have started to strip, to peel and of course to look real shabby, not to mention it's now difficult to see with all that peeling inside. So we went to the optician to see if anything could be done and they had never seen anything like it. Recommendation: Get a new pair.

Now the price of the fancy pair was consistent with the fanciness and we are not looking forward to the prospect of paying any more fancy prices. But the child is going off to school in September and he will need to see the board. Hence we are looking around for affordable eyeglasses that are cool enough for a teen. Zennioptical.com looks to be the best bet. To say they are affordable is an understatement as they start at eight bucks and they are stylish too with cute colors for kids like blue, purple, pink, silver, orange and fashionable frames ranging from plastic to stainless steel and rimless and half rim frames.

Now the thing is you order these glasses online so you must have your prescription ready. Sometimes though you prescription doesn't have the pupillary distance included, that is the distance between your pupils, but the optometrist will have this information so I'll just ask him.


I like these. I haven't placed the order yet but will let you know about my and his experience when I do.

6 comments:

Fishbowl said...

I am sooo glad I don't wear glasses yet. And while we're talking about things I'm glad about...no surly teenagers or kids at all...but TOTAL respect to you moms (and dads) for braving the wild yonder! Thanks for the fun read.

Debbie said...

I've been wondering about ordering glasses online. They are so much cheaper.

Harriet said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It seems I've been sleeping on zenoptical! I'm going to pay their website a visit TODAY!

Night Owl Mama said...

Ive delt with glasses with my oldest for over 15 yrs not fun at all. Cheaper on line huh? I may have to take a peek

Orange Juice said...

what about just new lenses & same frames?

Jenny said...

I've heard great things about Zenni Optical and also about Eye Buy Direct.

I will be ordering some for myself soon.