Monday, July 13, 2009

Books I Read as a Child

I took a pleasant trip down memory lane as my eyes caught sight of a very familiar and famous signature:


I spent many a holiday or weekend curled up with a book from one of her series, getting caught up with the antics and adventures of the Famous Five, Secret Seven and the Twins at St. Clare's. One of my favourite characters was George, a girl who objected to being called by her real name Georgina and whose father, the quintessential mad scientist, was not very tolerant of her and her cousins' antics.

find enid blyton books, magic books for children great read aloud children stories

These characters who played junior detectives didn't have costumes, or super powers and they certainly didn't morph into super heroes but they had secret passwords, a headquarters in the garden shed and smarts. Ginger beer was the drink of choice and holidays were spent outside solving mysteries and in the case of the twins, their life at boarding school was positively exciting. They introduced me to lacrosse. A game we certainly never played. All of this took place of course in the absence of video games, computers and the like. Aah the simple life.

Then there was the
Magical Faraway Tree series
starring a huge magic tree in an enchanted wood. I made a point of buying these for my son and wasn't slightly surprised to see that the characters had changed. Oh he would have loved the original set, but those were written long, long ago in the 1940's.

My American friends didn't know these books when I was a little girl and I wonder whether much has changed. I did a little search and found them at Amazon but quite a few were "out of stock" - still in demand I guess.

I was thrilled however to find that there was a tv version of the Famous Five Series. I guess I had grown up by then. :) . Take a look, but I'd really love it if you could find the book. If I am successful I might even host an Enid Blyton giveaway.




10 comments:

carma said...

My son is now enjoying one of my childhood books, unfortunately it is not fine literature - it is a MAD magazine book - over 20 years old :D

Stopping by from SITS to say "welcome"!

greedygrace said...

I've never heard of these, and I'm an avid reader! I'll have to check them out!

I came by to welcome you to SITS! We're happy to have you with us!

Sheryl said...

I love going down memory lane. It brings a warm glow to my heart.

Welcome to SITS, it's a great place to make new friends. Have a great day.

African American Mom said...

Hey Dee! Thanks for stopping by blog.

I have never heard of any of those books and I'd like to have considered myself a vast reader when I was younger. Apparently I needed to stretch out a little more. I may check them out later.

I often go back and read childhood books to bring up feelings of carefree youth.

Joy said...

This got me thinking about a few of my childhood favorites. Nice trip down memory lane which included Frederick by Leo Leoni and many, many books by Judy Blume. :o)

Welcome to SITS, it's great you've joined us!

Melissa B. said...

I was a Charlotte's Web gal all the way. And Dr. Seuss, too!

The Mom @ Babes in Hairland said...

I've never heard of any of those books, but they sound great. I wish I had more time to enjoy a good book. Stoppin over from SITS to welcome you aboard. Have a great day!

K said...

I haven't heard of these before (I'm American). But I have fond memories of my childhood favorites too.

Welcome to SITS!

Cherryl Hanson Simpson said...

That Enid Blyton signature really brought back memories. Treacle pudding (still wondering what on earth this is), Noddy, naughty English children, mysteries and adventures... ahhh life was simple back then!

resplendentlife said...

Oh how I love children's literature! Some of my favorites are The Little House on the Prairie Series, The Ramona Quimby series, and the Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry series. I could go on and on but instead I will stop here and say Welcome to SITS!!!