Friday, January 16, 2009

College Interview

Despite my incredibly busy schedule which even involves starting a new website, I have decided to share some suggestions I gave to my son who had a college interview yesterday.

• Firstly I stressed that he was not to be late. Get there early.
• In terms of dress I reminded him to dress neatly. Since his school dress includes shirt, tie and blazer I told him to go in class dress.
• I reminded him to address the interviewer politely. Greet with a good solid handshake and smile and call him by his/her name. Also avoid expressions such as "you know", "like" and hmm hmm.

With respect to answering the questions. I suggested that there were two main considerations:

1. What do you have to offer the school - Here is where stock is taken of your character, your academic achievements/interests, your extra curricular and co curricular activities.
2. What does the school have to offer you - This involves why you want to go to that school and can it meet your academic and extra curricular needs?

To me it is best to avoid studying interview questions and practising answers as you may sound too programmed. This is not to say that kids should not be prepared. My advice though is to know yourself and be yourself. So if you have a resume, take a look at it to remind you of your talents and accomplishments (nerves can be the greatest memory extinguisher).

Finally the interviewer can and most likely will come up with questions or discussions from way out of left field. My son told me that for a good part of the interview he was engaged in a discussion of Usain Bolt's world record sprint in the Beijing Olympics. So get ready to talk.

1 comment:

wang15297 said...

     Ugg Australia has recruited designers like Manolo Blahnik, Carlos Falchi, Rebecca Minkoff, Rafe pictured, and more to design high-end versions of the brand's trademark boots for its seventh annual Art & Sole auction.


I have to assume these will be filed under unaffordable (which is good - more money for St. Jude!), but I'll still be going to the pickyouruggs Web site on December 1 to window shop and see what these designers have cooked up.

I am trying to picture what I would do to make these high end... Real Italian leather? A pearl brooch? Other expensive ingredients and sparkles? Maybe the differences won't be that extreme, but I hope each designer puts his personal touch on the shoe. I'm certain at the very least you'll be able to pick out which Uggs came from Betsey Johnson (ugg 5815, please!).

The event is likely to inspire as many interesting Ugg knockoffs as there are regular Ugg knockoffs, so it is possible we'll see something like this around town next year. It's not only a great event for charity but probably also a good move to keep Uggs alive and relevant... especially with the number of people who'd like to see them disappear for good!

I will of course keep wearing my Uggs because A) I have them and B) they are warm, but if your kid asks Santa for Where the Wild Things Are Uggs... I feel for ya.