Friday, June 6, 2008

More Summer Reading

In keeping with my promotion of summer reading I am filching from the Well Read Hostess today. I am even adopting her general statement of opinion as if it were my own, simply because I think parents should encourage their children to read and reading with them is one way of doing so. Well read says:
"If you don't encourage your children, no matter how old, to read for pleasure, you are handicapping them in every way for the rest of their lives."
She filched some of her choices from the NY Times. I'm relying on my son's summer reading list. He is planning to check out these.

  • The Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. This is a collection of short stories, which students sometimes prefer over the lengthy Pride and Prejudice type. Interestingly Well Read referred to another of Ms. Lahiri's books.
  • Sailing Alone Around the Room by Billy Collins. Now don't dismiss this work because it is a collection of poems. It made the NY Times front page and became a best seller and you'd be surprised at how many kids read and write poetry.
  • Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I have heard of The Cloud Atlas but this is not the same book. I hear it is a challenging yet enticing read.
  • Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder. This is a true story by a Pulitzer prize winning author about Dr. Paul Farmer, Harvard Professor who seemingly embodies all that a doctor is supposed to be.
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I really want to read this book about friendship between two Afghan boys. Guilt, betrayal and redemption are themes in this book which looks at modern day Afghanistan. Watch the film after you read the book.
I have to also repeat Well Read's endorsement of Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley's series with the latest being Careless in Red. Her characters are so lifelike and well developed. Start from A Great Deliverance and you will see what I mean.

No comments: