Monday, June 30, 2008

I Want to be Tall too

Now at 6 ft. 1 1/2 in my son is not exactly a midget but then neither is he nor does he ascribe to be of gigantic stature. He just needs to, has to, must, reach 6ft 2in. because of course he could then look his father directly in the eye. Secretly I am rooting for him to make it to 6 ft 3 in which is why I have stopped nagging him to get out of bed. You see he has brought it to my attention that sleep is essential to growth as it is during sleep that the growth hormone is secreted. So he is sleeping and sleeping and sleeping. Apart from the growth argument I have to recognize that the high school junior year is demanding, especially in the month of May during which there are AP's and SAT's running parallel with regular classes and extracurricular activities. It is no wonder he is sleeping so much; during most of the school year he seems to be seriously sleep deprived.

Then there is the food consumption. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack, snack, snack then of course sleep. Do they eat more during the summer vacation? When I ask this I am reminded about the Dutch who are reputed to be the world's tallest people and who consume a high dairy and protein diet. I hear the average Dutch man is 6' 1", so he is above average, isn't that enough? No, no because he has got to equal the father's height. So summer sees us stocking up on among other things cheese and meat. Wish they could power the car too.

Then the exercise. My yoga mat is often missing only to be found in his room. No I won't catch him doing the warrior pose or any such thing, but stretches, crunches, leg lifts, calf raises coupled with bicep curls are the order of the day. In addition, now that the national trials for the Beijing Olympics are on, discussions range from authoritative declarations on endurance, how to avoid injury and the ideal body for sprinting. Of course our 100 metres world record holder Usain Bolt looks like a giant on the track, all 6'5" of him so for all I know soon some bastardized version of Usain's training schedule will be attempted at home.

Meanwhile measurements are taken regularly. Last week I was informed that it was really above 6'1 1/2", slightly. I think he was standing a little too tall on purpose.

No comments: