Saturday, May 24, 2008

Summer Reading for Kids


Every summer our trips to the library increase. At this time kids especially high school students usually have a list of books which are required for summer reading and I tend to see if the books are available for borrowing before I head out to buy. In past summers my son's list has included The Autobiography of Malcolm X, Snow Falling on Cedars, One Who Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Fahrenheit 451, The Adventrues of Huckleberry Finn, The Chaneysville Incident and My Name Is Asher Lev.

To tell you the truth I enjoy going through his list which comprises about 20 books out of which he must choose four as the choices are so diverse and I can expand my own reading experience. I mean the summer is long and it is nice to see what schools consider good literary works. I figure if the English department considers them worthy then I should be on the right path. It was last summer that I came across Chaim Potok's Asher Lev - a book about a Ladover Hasidic Jew who has to deal with his uncontrollable and secular artistic talent - which I found gripping, simple and complex at the same time.

If your children do not have a summer reading list, it would be useful to create one for them to keep them engaged in an enjoyable activity this summer. Surf the internet (Education World has some useful tips) or ask friends and relatives who have kids for summer reading ideas. I find the kids love books covering humour, mystery, fantasy and adventures. If the books are part of a good series (remember Harry Potter) then even better. My son also loved the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer.

Whether you have young kids, middle schoolers or teens, they will all benefit from reading this summer. If they don't like to read, try some of my reading is fun tips, who knows perhaps this is the summer when they trun over a new leaf (pun intended) but make it fun and interesting and remember you must set an example so go out and get a book and start reading too.

No comments: