Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Harsh Winter - Soft Skin

The cold winter weather can have a real negative effect on your skin. The wind and the dry winter air dehydrate the skin and reduce its elasticity; hence you should take steps to protect your skin instead of waiting to treat it against the effects of winter.

Luckily for me my mother has baby, soft skin and I seemed to be blessed with her genes. I do still take steps to protect my skin however. These are the ones I’d recommend:

  1. Bathe in tepid instead of hot water. Hot water dries out the skin.
  2. Moisturize your skin daily. I use Neutrogena body oil right as I step out of the shower.
  3. Use a hydrating lotion on your face. I discovered Immune Perfect which contains vitamin E and melanin and it is excellent. I use it both at morning and at night before bed.
  4. Take omega 3 fatty acids everyday – consult your doctor first
  5. Drink lots of water
  6. Wear a long scarf or a balaclava that can be wound across your lower face when it is windy
  7. At night crack the window slightly or use a humidifier to add moisture to the air as you sleep

I have a friend who tells me that in the winter she bathes in the night and then uses Vaseline pure petroleum jelly all over her body. I have never tried it but my son tells me that if his skin is cracked or really dry he uses it to treat the dry skin but he doesn’t use it on his face before heading outside as it leads to darkening of the skin. Yes the sun’s ultraviolet rays are effective in the winter even though it does not feel hot. The snow is very reflective and ultraviolet rays still come through and reflect very well off the snow. So if you are going to be outside for more than twenty minutes you should use sun screen.

Let me remind you about Immune Perfect which is a product under the Frownies brand. I love it because it has no artificial products not even fragrance. It is a cream with a brown, muddy color and watery consistency and it is expensive but it leaves your skin feeling so hydrated. The package describes it as the only product with water soluble melanin developed at Yale school of medicine. All I know is if the winter leaves you with dry, patchy skin and uneven skin tone like it did with my son, this is the product for you.

No comments: